- History of School
- Contact Us
- Accreditation of our degrees
- Prospective students
- Undergraduate Programmes
- Current student information
- Undergraduate Design Courses
- 1st Year Courses
- 2nd Year Courses
- COMS2004 - Data Structures and Algorithms
- ELEN2000 Electrical Engineering
- ELEN2001 - Electronics 1
- ELEN2003 - Electric and Magnetic Systems
- ELEN2004 - Software Development 1
- ELEN2005 - Signals and Systems 1
- ELEN2006 - Microprocessors
- APPM2013 Biomedical Statistics and Numerical Methods
- HAEM2001 Molecular and Cell Biology for Biomedical Engineers
- MATH2014 Mathematics II
- PHYS2007 Physics II (Electrical)
- 3rd Year Courses
- APPM3021 Computational Mathematics
- ELEN3000 - Electromagnetic Engineering
- ELEN3002 - Electronics II
- ELEN3003 - Power Engineering
- ELEN3007 - Probabilistic Systems Analysis
- ELEN3009 Software Development II
- ELEN3012 - Signals and Systems II A
- ELEN3013 Signals and Systems II B
- ELEN3015 - Data and Information Management
- ELEN3016 Control I
- ELEN3017 - Electrical Engineering Design
- ELEN3018 Economics of Design
- CHMT3017 Biomedical Transport Phenomena
- ELEN3008 Biomedical Measurement, Instrumentation and Imaging
- ELEN3014 Biomedical Signals, Systems and Control
- ELEN3024 Communication Fundamentals
- MATH3025 Mathematical Methods (Electrical)
- PHSL2004 Physiology and Medical Biochemistry I
- 4th Year Courses
- ELEN4000 Electrical Engineering Design II
- ELEN4001 High Frequency Techniques
- ELEN4003 High Voltage Engineering
- ELEN4005 Power Transmission and Protection
- ELEN4006 Measurement Systems
- ELEN4007 Engineer in Society
- ELEN4009 Software Engineering
- ELEN4010 - Software Development 3
- ELEN4014 Electromechanical Conversion
- ELEN4015 Data Communication Networks II
- ELEN4016 Control II
- ELEN4017 Network Fundamentals
- Postgraduate Courses
- ELEN7007 Electrical Discharges in Gases
- ELEN7009 Principles of Insulation Coordination in Electrical Power Systems
- ELEN7011- Selected Topics in Communications
- ELEN7012 Selected Topics in Software Engineering
- ELEN7013 Selected Topics in Power Engineering
- ELEN7015 Teletraffic Engineering
- ELEN7018 Earthing and Lightning Protection
- ELEN7020 Non-Linear Modelling, Estimation and Control
- ELEN7022 Artificial Intelligence Methods
- ELEN7032 Advanced Telecommunications Service Architectures
- ELEN7034 Telecommunications System Design
- ELEN7035 - Telecommunications Investigation
- ELEN7039 Information Engineering Design (40 points)
- ELEN7040 Information Engineering Investigation Project
- ELEN7041 Investigational Project in Electrical Power Engineering
- ELEN7044 Introduction to Software Engineering
- ELEN7045 Software Development Methodologies, Analysis and Design
- ELEN7046 Software Technologies and Techniques
- ELEN7047 Software Project Management
- ELEN7048 Variable Speed Drives for AC Machines
- ELEN7049 Telecommunications Access Networks
- ELEN7052 Selected Topic – Systems and Control
- ELEN7053 Power Engineering Design
- ELEN7054 Investigational Project in Systems and Control
- ELEN7055 Database Systems
- ELEN7056 Power Electronics
- ELEN7060 Introduction to Packet Networks
- ELEN7061 Telecommunications Business Environment
- Short Courses
- Vacation Work
- Industrial Advisory Board
- Johannesburg Centre for Software Engineering (JCSE)
- ATP User Group
- Bergville Community Project
- SAIEE-IEEE Wits Student Group
- Visit by Dr. Tingye Li
- News & Events
- News Items
- Power Africa 2012 - proudly hosted by Wits
- "The Playpen" - Engineering Skills Development Laboratory
- 2010 Final Year students place second in IEEE student paper competition
- 2011 Orientation
- Bergville Careers Day – February 2011
- Bergville Community Project
- Illuminating Africa's Nights and Fueling Sustainable Development - A public lecture by Dr. Lawrence E. Jones
- Issue 6 of The Node is available
- Presentation by Chairman of Suzlon (wind turbine manufacturer)
- The Node is launched
- Wits EIE Team wins undergrad CHPC Cluster Competition
- Open Day
- The Node - Newsletter of the School
- News Items
The research group is pleased to report the following on scholarships awarded to students;
|EPPEI (Eskom Power Plant Engineering Institute)||
The EPPEI programme is in its fourth year of operation and was formed to allow young engineers employed by Eskom to study full-time towards an MSc or PhD degree. The topic of research has to be...
The annual South African Universities Power Engineering Conference (SAUPEC) was held by the Univeristy of Johannesburg in January. The research group had a strong presence as usual, and Cedric...
|URSI Commission B National Meeting||
Prof Clark attended the URSI national committee meeting in Stellenbosch in June, as Chair of commission B.
|International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering (ISH) 2015||
This year four members of staff and 12 students successfully participated at the 19th ISH held in Pilsen, Czech Republic. Professor Reynders, who is a member of the ISH international steering...
|Illuminating Africa's Nights and Fueling Sustainable Development - A public lecture by Dr. Lawrence E. Jones - 21st Feb 2013||
The SAIEE-IEEE Wits Student Group, are hosting a public lecture in partnership with Alstom. This event promises to be quite a highlight. The speaker is Dr. Lawrence Jones. He will be talking...
|Visit of Japanese Robotics Specialists||
The SAIEE-IEEE Wits Student Group are working in collaboration with the Embassy of Japan in South Africa to present you two Japanese robotics experts who will be discussing their work at Wits...
|Information Day 2012||
On 12 May 2012, Wits University hosted its annual Information Day to high school learners; in particular, focus was given to Grade 11 and 12 learners preparing for tertiary studies. All...
|Motivating Critical Thinking in Students through the Entelect Best Science Fiction Short Story Competition||
By Ms Kirby Manià, Ms Yu-Chieh (Jessie) Liu and Dr Cuthbert Nyamupangedengu
Creativity and critical thinking are key attributes of the engineering profession, the latter being...
|Wits EIE Team wins undergrad CHPC Cluster Competition||
Congratulations to our second year students Kerren Ortlepp, Jan-Willem Steeb and Ryan Strange, who together with NWU student Evelyn Khobeka, won the inaugural Centre for High...
|Power Africa 2012 - proudly hosted by Wits||
Power Africa 2012 will be hosted by the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg from July 9 -13 2012.
For more information visit the event's...
|Students ‘Sign’ their way to Imagine Cup Success||
The Imagine Cup is a Microsoft-sponsored technology competition showcasing some of the most innovative and creative applications and solutions to address the world’s toughest problems:...
|SAIEE and IEEE Merger at Wits||
The Wits IEEE Student Branch was founded in 2006 by Howard Sachs, Dick Mathekga, Brian Leke, Adam Pantanowitz and Benji Rosman. The student branch’s primary starting...
|Cross-Faculty Course Should Produce Creative Thinkers||
By Alec Larsen and Bradley Marques
This year saw the beginning of an exciting new course in Game Design: a collaboration between Digital Art and Electrical and Information...
|Call for suggestions for honorary degrees||
Wits has produced numerous graduates who have become world-renowned in their fields. If any readers of The Node are aware of individuals who have an association with Wits in the fields of...
|"The Playpen" - Engineering Skills Development Laboratory||
View the latest developments concerning the Engineering Skills Development Lab.
|Alstom invests in Wits engineering||
The Alstom Chair in Clean Energy Systems Technology (ACCEST) was inaugurated at Wits on 1 December 2011, as part of a partnership which will see Alstom investing over 17 million Rand in various...
|Entelect Best Science Fiction Short Story Competition for 2011||
Every year the first year Electrical and Information Engineering (EIE) students submit a science fiction short story which forms part of their assessment for the Critical Thinking component of...
|Students 'sign' their way to Microsoft Imagine Cup||
Wits Electrical and Information Engineering students Ashley Gritzman, Tomislav Batev, and Nicholas Botes won the "Best use of a natural user interface" award for their Signect Project...
|Mona Lisa’s Smile gets broader at Potch||
In November last year, two fourth year Information Engineering students, Bradley Marques and Benjamin Sim, represented the University of the Witwatersrand at the South African Institute of...
|EIE Hall of Fame: Professor Mike Rodd||
After some seven years at Wits in the early eighties, Mike moved to the UK as Head of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and later Head of the Engineering School, at the...
|Mickey Milner visits his alma mater and delivers a public lecture||
Morris (Mickey) Milner, BSc(Eng) (Wits), Ph.D. (Wits), D.Sc. (Hon) (Queen’s), P.Eng., C.C.E. visited his alma mater, Wits University, on 4 October 2011 and delivered a public lecture...
|Wits Team are Android Developer Challenge Finalists||
In July 2011, a team of four Wits EIE graduates received an email from Google informing them that Dribble, the mobile application they developed has been selected as a finalist in the Google...
|The EIE School does well at the ‘world cup’ of high voltage engineering||
In football it is the FIFA world cup final that everyone would want to participate in; let alone host. In rugby it is the Rugby World Cup … and the Springboks are still licking their...
|School’s Centre of Excellence in Telecommunications Access and Services (CeTAS) 2011 conference participation||
Since the last issue of The Node, the CeTAS Group has presented papers at two important conferences; the South African Telecommunications Network and Applications Conference held in East London...
|Wits IEEE Student Branch 2011 Highlights||
The Wits IEEE Student Branch achieved a new membership record in 2011 with 163 student and graduate student members. This is an increase from the 2010 membership figure of 112 members. In 2011,...
|IEEE Career Guidance Event for (STEP) 2011||
On 14 April 2011, the IEEE WITS Student Branch and IEEE GOLD (Graduates Of the Last Decade) hosted its first Career Guidance Evening for graduating engineering students. The event was organised...
|Helping to educate aspirant CIOs: a unique offering at Wits||
Now in its sixth year in its current format, the Multidisciplinary Professional Certificate in Chief Information Officer (CIO) Practice has trained more than 100 senior level ICT...
|Between art and engineering: Introducing Game Design at Wits||
In an exciting collaboration with the Wits School of Arts the School of Electrical and Information Engineering will be pioneering a new degree in Game Design: a Bachelor of Engineering Science...
|ACTOM Funding Modernises Energy Lab||
A project to set up a new energy laboratory in the School of Electrical & Information Engineering is well underway. This has been facilitated by a R450 000 grant from ACTOM and roughly equal...
|Witsies win second place award in IEEE R8 SPC 2011 competition||
Congratulations to our two Wits graduates, Daniel Mankowitz and Andrew Paverd, for their success at the IEEE Region 8 Student Paper Contest (SPC) 2011, Lisbon,...
|Visit to Wits by Dr and Mrs Li||
The School of Electrical & Information Engineering had the honour of hosting Dr Tingye Li and his wife Mrs Edith Li in July. Dr Li was in Johannesburg to receive the degree DSc(Eng)...
|Wits on the grid!||
The South African National Grid is a new initiative to help provide high performance computing to South African researchers. Grid computing technology allows autonomous organisations to share...
|The Wits Centre of Excellence for Telecommunications Access and Services (CeTAS) wins a research contract from ICASA||
In June 2010, Wits’ CeTAS was informed that the Centre in conjunction with the LINK Centre at Wits Business School had been awarded a collaborative research contract by ICASA covering...
|Wits Bioinformatics took honours||
ISCB Africa, the joint conference of the International Society for Computational Biology and the African Society for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics was held recently in Cape Town,...
|Wits graduate and world leader in optical communications honoured by his alma mater||
When Tingye Li qualified as an electrical engineer at the University of the Witwatersrand at the end of 1952, the world was technologically a very different place. Lasers had not yet been...
|Prof. David H Jacobson: EIE hall of fame||
David H Jacobson received the BSc (Eng) degree in Electrical Engineering "With...
|Members of staff receive 3 awards at SAIEE banquet||
The school is proud to announce that 3 members of staff received awards at the annual South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE) Banquet held on the 14th October. We congratulate...
|Students place second in IEEE student paper competition||
Daniel Mankowitz and Andrew Paverd have placed second in the IEEE Region 8 Student Paper competition. Andrew presented their work, Mobile Device-Based Cellular Network...
|Presentation by Chairman of Suzlon (wind turbine manufacturer)||
25 May, 13:15 in CM2
Entrance is free, everybody welcome
Suzlon announces first South Africa framework agreement for up to...
The beginning of 2011 brought a fresh new group of Electrical & Information and Biomedical Engineering first year students to the School’s new CBI-electric Laboratory during...
|Bergville Careers Day – February 2011||
The School of Electrical & Information Engineering, together with the help and administration of the Bergville Community Builders (BCB) and the SA Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE)...
|Bergville Community Project||
Read about our involvement in the Bergville Community Project in the community section.
|EIE Webmail link added||
Users wanting to check EIE webmail can refer to the webmail information page
|PEIES - Postgraduate Symposium||
The Postgraduate Electrical and Information Engineering Symposium (PEIES) will be held on the 21st April 2011. The deadline for submission of articles is the 1st April 2011. More information...
|Issue 6 of The Node is available||
January 2012 has seen the 6th edition of "The Node" being released. You can view it here.
|The Node is launched||
The School has launched a quarterly newsletter, The Node, that is distributed to friends and alumni via email. The first edition was published in October 2010. All...